posted Jan 27, 2015, 8:59 AM by Michael Dreyfus-Pai
updated Sep 11, 2016, 3:03 PM by Karen McMillan
Today we're going to launch into a series of dynamic geometry activities. By using tools that reflect the underlying concepts of geometric figures, we'll develop a deeper understanding.
Geometer's Sketchpad Refresher
Complete the following:
- Launch Geometer's Sketchpad (GSP5)
- Draw a point, line, ray, and line segment
- Construct an angle and measure that angle.
Things to notice:
- Notice how GSP simulates points, lines, rays, and segments
- Pay careful attention to how angles are named. The order of points listed describes where the vertex and legs of the angle are
- Notice how GSP will always measure the convex angle (less than 180º)
Investigation: Complementary and Supplementary Angles
Download the GSP file here. Using the included sketch, identify pairs of angles that are...
- Complementary: they add up to 90º
- Supplementary: they add up to 180º