posted Mar 18, 2014, 10:34 AM by Michael Dreyfus-Pai
updated Mar 18, 2014, 10:50 AM
It's time to put your super summarizing skills to the test! Every hour, radio producers create short summaries of the news, providing a quick overview of what's going on in the world. Take a listen:
Here's how you're going to create your own 30-60 news report:
- Find an important, current news story
- Read about the story until you understand the basic facts
- Write a concise summary of the story that includes just the facts:
- Definitely include the who, what, when, and where. How and why are your last priority.
- Avoid any personal pronouns. You as the author should be invisible!
- Try to be as objective as possible. Don't offer your opinions, although you can describe the opinions of the parties involved.
- Share your summary with your writing group for editing.
- Using your iPad and the Voice Record Pro app, record your summary at home. Be sure to follow the Guide for Recording Audio.
Sharing your Report
- In Voice Record Pro, tap on your recording and then Save to Google Drive. Sign in if necessary.
- Go to Google Drive and share your news report with Mr. Dreyfus-Pai.